Thursday, June 4, 2020

Throwback Thursday

I love creating suns, moons and all celestial designs. This little crescent moon was actually a mistake. Let me explain ...

I had been drawing out designs on different leftover pieces of Wedi Board (a foam board covered with a layer of cement-resin coating with fiberglass mesh). Mostly I was doing moons and suns. This moon came out to be bigger than I thought and I ended up drawing one side too far off the board. I knew I couldn't cut it and make a successful mosaic of it as just the moon shape with part of it missing, so I put it aside and continued cutting out other pieces. What I ended up with, was a lot of pieces I couldn't actually put a mosaic on for various reasons. They weren't straight or when I tried to cut out the sun rays, for example, they just didn't turn out. There's a lot of guess work when it comes to making mosaics for me. I learn as I go! So that plan, didn't exactly happen the way I thought it would.

What did happen, was this little mosaic wall art. Available through my Etsy shop.


Height: 10 Inches; Width: 5 Inches

This groovy crescent moon wall art is one of most favorite designs to create. This time, the moon and background are all hand cut dish tiles in yellow and blue. Surrounding the outside of the piece are glass gems in black and orange. Hangs by a piece of jute string on your wall easily.

Looking up the meaning of a crescent moon, I found this through a recent search and feel it is the best explanation of the symbol. "The moon is a feminine symbol, universally representing the rhythm of time as it embodies the cycle. The phases of the moon symbolize immortality and eternity, enlightenment or the dark side of Nature herself. It might reflect inner knowledge, or the phases of man's condition on earth, since it controls the tides, the rains, the waters, and the seasons. It is the middle ground between the light of the sun and the darkness of night, and thus often represents the realm between the conscious and the unconscious. In astrology, the moon is a symbol of the soul, and in the horoscope it determines the subject's capacity for reflection and adaptation. It also provides analogy for the stages of human development: the new moon is infancy, the crescent is youth and adolescence, the full moon is maturity and pregnancy, and the waning moon represents the decline of life, sleep."~umich.edu


I LOVE that!!

This 10 x 5 inch mosaic wall hanging can be gifted or kept but must be enjoyed each and every day no matter where the moon cycle is in the evening. Would make a great gift for a moon collector, a birthday gift, wedding, anniversary or retirement. Fits well within a children's room or even in the bathroom where many use the sun and moon to decorate.

Give your host or hostess at the next function you go to a special piece of handmade art. They'll love it!

Indoor use only.




Support Independent Artisans, Designers and Crafters for your gift-giving needs all throughout the year. Thank you!~Cindy, EarthMotherMosaics