Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Tesserae Tuesday

This is a glass-on-glass project that will head to Etsy once grouted. Here, I'm sharing some work-in-progress photos and the final mosaic in the pre-grout stage. Because it's glass-on-glass or GOG as we like to call it, the glue will dry slowly.

I always used a PVA glue which goes on white but dries clear. I prefer this glue, mostly because it's economical but also because it lets me know when it's time to grout. Once the areas are free of white spots, it's time.




Using a pattern I drew and taping it to the back of this 13 inch glass plate, I was ready to start gluing down the stained glass. I picked jewel tones in light blue, many shades in green, dark blue in two shades and three shades of yellow.


Filling in around the design was a lot of fun. This glass was gifted; it's 3 or 4 layers of Youghiogheny Stipple (I believe). Beautiful colors swirl throughout the sheets and cutting it up into small pieces for my use made it really interesting. You will see, even before grout, the way the light plays throughout this mosaic.

Mosaic plate ready for grout and kitty approved!
This plate is so rich in color. Earth tones around the outside, jewel tones within. I truly love the combination of colors. It gives me that bohemian style feeling that I love so much.


The highlighted area shows spots of white glue which means it's not yet ready for grout.

Look for the finished mosaic on my website in a week or so.


Support Independent Artisans, Designers and Crafters for your gift-giving needs all throughout the year. Thank you!~Cindy, EarthMotherMosaics