Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Tesserae Tuesday

This star box is kind of cool because of all of the different techniques I used, so I thought I'd share. I made this in February of 2013 as a gift.


Here, I used dish tiles, stained glass, mirror and a ceramic heart. And I used acrylic paint and glitter too on this star box. Wish I had more of these boxes. They aren't easy to find. Ironically enough, I call them "Wish Upon's". Putting a special wish inside the box after writing it down or even whispering into it and closing it tight, I like to think it holds our wishes until we've received them. Magical!!



I painted the top and used a clear purple glass that looks blue and purple depending on the light with mirror around the heart in the center. The bottom has purple and gold dish tiles. All hand cut to fit, of course. One piece of glass I showed in the first photo was not used. But I never know when I start where I'll go, so having more than I'll use is always a good thing.



Once the grout was dry, I painted glitter on the top using a water wash of glue. The heart can be used as a handle of sorts, to open the box.

I gifted this to one of my step-granddaughters for her birthday. I'm pretty sure she no longer has it as they've moved quite a few times over the years, but I like to think she got some use out of it and enjoyed it a little.


Support Independent Artisans, Designers and Crafters for your gift-giving needs all throughout the year. Thank you!~Cindy, EarthMotherMosaics