Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Tesserae Tuesday

Last week, I shared some of my favorite tesserae. I use so many different things, I decided to break it up into two posts.

I left off with: My favorite tesserae is whatever I'm using at the moment. I love dish tiles when I'm using them as much as I love stained glass when I'm using it. Mirror is a favorite as well.


Dish Tiles:
"Cactus Joe" - a birthday gift for a good friend
Spring-themed decorative birdhouse using dishes, an old flower brooch and some Mardi Gras beads
Recycled:

An old jug found at a thrift store using hand cut mirror and stained glass
Broken Mirror:

Stained glass, dish tiles and mirror were used for this wedding gift
Tempered/Crash Glass:

Tempered glass or crash glass as some call it was used on top of colorful foils. I added glitter. This was the start of a beautiful friendship using tempered glass, paint and glitter. The love continues to grow to this day.
As you can see by these examples, there are so many ways to create mosaics. I've had some fail horribly but most of the time, when I experiment, I am usually pleased with the results. This particular piece of art isn't a mosaic but was an experiment. It's called "A Dreamer's Fleeting Moments" and is done with tempered glass, beads, found objects, mixed media, paper, pens, paint and glitter.


The best part about this: it's done on a piece of Styrofoam that came out of a packing box. I covered it in many layers of thinset (cement).

Support Independent Artisans, Designers and Crafters for your gift-giving needs all throughout the year. Thank you!~Cindy, EarthMotherMosaics