Wednesday, January 31, 2024

In The Studio - Part 1

In the studio means many places around here. Right now there are things going on in the Purple Palace Art Space, The Garage Art Studio and an area in my room (a large folding table and a laptop table) that are all used often to create art and hold WIP's.

Ever wonder what it takes to make a mosaic? Besides a little knowledge, it takes tools. They are scattered here but basically I've got glass cutters, glue and grout. Throughout the years I've found what I like to use. I have picks and tweezers in there too. Alcohol swabs can be use for cuts on my fingers but they also can be used to clean glue off of glass and mirror. A few tools are missing (like a pumice stone, diamond head hand tool grinders and the electric grinder in the garage) but they are all important to me. I'm grateful for these tools and thank them each time I use them. For real. They help me create what I see in my head. Why wouldn't I thank them?!

 

I've got a lot of photos to share, so instead of writing about them, I'll share them with descriptions underneath each in two posts this week, breaking it up to make it easier to read.

The latest doodle, now has a lot of color added to it. I actually think I liked it better with no color as shown here. I put it aside and now can't find it ... subtle reminder to myself that not all things come through as I planned, I promptly put it "away" safely, I'm sure. No photo was taken after I finished coloring it in.

I shared this on Facebook before it was finished. I really love it. The white streak along the left side was an accident with my hair and white paint -- true story. I left it and will always remember how it appeared. Meanwhile, I love the blue background as much if not equal to the dot painting itself. I mixed colors together to get this blue which is another reason I left the white streak. I probably would only end up ruining it if I tried to duplicate the color. It's been sprayed with a sealant and is now sitting in the garage waiting for fumes to dissipate. It'll take about 3-5 days.

Here is step one of the water color pieces I just did. I'm going to add doodles with black ink. That should be fun.

I ordered these beauties from mosaicsbymaria.com a favorite place to shop. I'm planning to use them on canvas with dot paintings. So far it's just a plan, but I'm positive they will eventually make their way into at least one mosaic.


When I made this moon, I hadn't any D-rings for attaching before making it. I successfully glued one to the back long after it was finished and it stayed for a few years but didn't last. I studied my alternatives now that I have a little more around to use and came up with what I'll share below.

This piece of wood is beautiful. It came from a box of scraps I purchased on eBay months ago. I believe after I sand around the edges a bit, it will be exactly what I need to fix this mosaic.

Once I get a hanger on the back of the wood, I'll attach the moon to the board. I really like this moon, so it'll be a welcome addition to the Celestial Wall! I can't wait to share it!


 Enjoy the journey.

 Cindy aka EarthMotherMosaics


Support Independent Artisans, Designers and Crafters for your gift-giving needs all throughout the year. Thank you!~Cindy, EarthMotherMosaics