Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Wintery Mix

We had a snowstorm Monday evening into Tuesday morning and it was wonderful.

Taken through our dining room window showing a bit of the creek that runs along the end of the property. It was so peaceful and quiet for a while. I love when that happens. Everything stops. Noise pollution is halted because it has to, even if it's only for a few hours. Thank you Universe!

When I was in the garage shortly before the storm, I glanced at the doll I did a mosaic on.

There's one spot at the top of her head that requires a replacement piece of glass but otherwise, she's protecting the garage as best as she can. I found the photo I shared on FB describing her and sharing a collage of photos as to how I made her in 2014.

 
 
I wrote: "This is a project I did taking a 'meh' porcelain doll and turning her into a Super Galactic Space Goddess with moon boots and funky glitter gloves!"
 
Actually she was super cute in her bobby socks and ponytail, dressed like a teen from the early 60's. I had wanted to do this mosaic technique for a long time and finally had the idea as to what to do and how. This photo collage shows her as she was. I covered her body in thinset, putting plastic around her arms and legs and face. While it sort of looked morbid it did protect them from thinset as I am really messy when it comes to things like that. Her arms and legs were done using tempered glass, ball chain and white grout. I painted her hands and feet in silver and glitter giving her the "space goddess" look. Galaxies swirl around her body and stars. I'm actually impressed with how she turned out, using plastic beads around the ball chain. I remember I got a lot of cuts from grouting her; 3D is always a challenge in mosaic but legs and arms were a real struggle. Not sure I'd have the patience or the finger dexterity to do one of these now, ten years later.

I have been binge watching "The Sopranos" on HBO/MAX. I had never seen it and am truly enjoying it and of course doing some doodling along the way.

So far, no mosaics have been worked on this week but I do think I might grout this weekend. Fingers crossed because I do have some things I want to list in the shop. Energy and time will tell.


Enjoy the journey.

 Cindy aka EarthMotherMosaics


Support Independent Artisans, Designers and Crafters for your gift-giving needs all throughout the year. Thank you!~Cindy, EarthMotherMosaics