Thursday, June 5, 2014

Featured Shop - Besem Natural Scents

BesemNaturalScents

Besem Natural Scents



This is a first for me here with the weekly Featured Shop posts. I'm giving a review as well as kudos to a shop I have loved for a while.

Ever since I discovered this shop, I've had my sights on purchasing some "Old Hippie" which is a wonderful blending of patchouli and sandalwood. No kidding, it's something I've been wanting for a very long time.

I love this soap. Love is not even strong enough of a word. I'm more than happy to find a shop or two that becomes a favorite place to shop, no matter the site, but my first love has always been Etsy for virtual shopping and finding new favorites.

This incredible soap was an incredible value. For $7 + $5 for shipping USD, I received a generous 5-7 oz bar. I am on a tight budget and allowing myself a luxury like this, even at a more than reasonable price, means my standards have to be high. I'm very pleased with my purchase.


The description on Etsy says, in part: "Our Old Hippie scent blend is my rendition of the popular incense of the 60’s and 70’s. It is a woodsy, rich blend of amyris and patchouli, with base notes of sandalwood and top notes of orange blossom--positively captivating!. If you need to just "chill", then this is the scent for you! This blend is 98% natural, using pure essential oils almost exclusively as scent. Less than 2% of high quality fragrance oils are added so that we don't have to rely on endangered natural sandalwood for the deep woody notes."

BesemNaturalScents has made a fantastic first impression. The scent reminds me of my teenage years walking through the art district in New Hope, PA in the late 1960's, early 1970's. They nailed it! This soap is the best cold processed soap I've ever used. The lather is intense, something I didn't anticipate because in the 70's cold processed soap did not lather. It crumbled and fell apart, but smelled good.

Besem's soap is nothing like the soap I remember ever experiencing in the past. IT IS BETTER!

I'm sharing my photos of this wonderful soap, "Old Hippie" that will forever be a special treat for myself whenever possible. She sent a free sample too - always a bonus!


Obviously, they sell more than one kind of soap. Please take a few minutes and look through their Etsy shop, favorite, share, purchase. You won't be sorry.

Don't forget Father's Day is coming up! They have Beard Balm!!!

I have to say, the way they wrap the soap is simple: using magazine pages to hold the soap with their label around both and then wrapped up in a few more pages. Recycling something in a new way. Providing simple packaging is always nice to see and appreciated by those of us who struggle with how to package items in a pleasing yet eco-friendly way. And most of all, letting the product do what it needs to do and shine all on its own. Believe me, it does!


I'm in awe of the values the people involved with this shop have. How they find time to make an incredible product is beyond me. They have six children! I've often struggled between family and business. Having their family participating in this business is a testimony to living in a pure and simple way to find the balance with everyone involved that's able to help. It really doesn't get better than that. If you love what you do and have love surrounding you while you're doing it, it comes through in the final product.

In their words: " We have a heart for orphans, and initially wanted to raise money to help pay for our two adoptions. We also donate 10% of all profits to orphan relief. Adoption has been an incredible blessing to our family and we want to help raise awareness about the need for loving families and the great benefits to those families who open their homes to provide these children with a "forever" family. "

I sliced up the big bar so I could savor it for a long time. This is going to last me for as long as possible. And when the last slice is pulled out, I'll be ordering more. You can count on it!


This shop has a life-long customer. I highly recommend giving them a try. If this "Old Hippie" is happy, you know they are good!

Support Independent Artisans, Designers and Crafters for your gift-giving needs all throughout the year. Thank you!

Stay peaceful,
Cindy