Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Tesserae Tuesday - Tempered Glass

 I have used tempered or crash glass for about 10 years. Maybe a little longer. It is my "go to" when I want to paint and use glitter and glass and grout to create something. I've made coasters, wall art, mixed media art and home decor using tempered glass that was once part of a car's windshield, an outdoor table top or someone's shower door.

Really, if you can find it, tempered glass is great to use in mosaics. There is a warning here, however, it splinters and HURTS when it gets under your skin. But the fun part is getting a large sheet and tapping it just right in the corner. Then sit back and listen to what sounds like the candy "Pop Rocks" crackling all the way through the sheet. Some use tape to keep it together, I've known others to use a glue and water wash to just keep it temporarily in one large piece. I take the pieces and put them in a box. When it's time to use it, most often there are still large enough pieces for me to use in my mosaics.

Here are a few examples, shown in photos. 





 

If you have any questions on how to use tempered glass, please send me a message. I might be able to help you.

 

 Support Independent Artisans, Designers and Crafters for your gift-giving needs all throughout the year. Thank you!~Cindy, EarthMotherMosaics