Friday, March 25, 2016

In The Studio - Friday

Happy Friday! What a fun week I've had!

I've been working on the glass vase all week when I'm not working on the online shops. I want to make sure each store has everything listed in it. I have some photos waiting for editing, some mosaics to be photographed, some mosaics waiting for grout for both! I don't have the energy I used to have to go through an entire store filled with listings in one day. I do a few hours, then I have to stop and do something else. Part of that is due to not being able to sit in a computer chair for 10 hours any longer but most of it is because I want to go play with glass or dish tiles way before the computer work is finished. In order to honor my art and the muse, I try to spend mornings working on the online stuff and afternoons making mosaic magic.

I started adding stained glass fish to the etched fish on the vase. I think they are so cool.



I was looking at all the photos I took of the 25 crosses I've made over the last few years. A few didn't get photographed but most of them have. I used the mosaic maker feature through bighugelabs.com and got this nice collection of all the crosses.


The last one still needs grouting which I should do within the next few days.

A lot of work goes into making a mosaic. Prep work before a mosaic begins and once it's finished is a must! I put painters tape around the MDF circle and the last cross to make sure grout doesn't go where I don't want it to go. This prevents black smudges from appearing on the back of the mosaic once the grout has been added.



I like to take a photo of the mosaics I make on glass before grout. One day I might try not grouting a glass-on-glass mosaic but it's doubtful. I truly love what grout does for my mosaics. Some folks make mosaics and don't grout at all. For me, it looks unfinished. Having said that, here's a cool shot of the hurricane lampshade I put a mosaic on that is waiting for grout.


Since it has a beach feel to it, I believe I'm grouting this one in white. I study the grout colors I have for days (sometimes weeks!!) to make the decision as to which one to use. This one was a toss up between a tan color and white. When I have trouble making the decision, I put a little grout next to the mosaic and study it. Luckily I can "see" what the mosaic would look like grouted in the color next to it. I do it like this:



While sorting through the piles when I was "reclaiming my space" before the muse came out to play, I found a slew of dishes I can't really use for cutting up but they aren't good enough to use for their intended purpose, to eat off of. Some are very old, gifted to me when I moved here in the earlier 1990's. Others are plates folks have donated to the cause throughout the years. I was complaining the other day about not having small plates to put mosaics on, to make into trivets or candle holders and I realized I really do have more than I need. Check out this small selection I've photographed below.

These range in size between 6-8 inches. All will have broken china on them.

The larger plates range between 8 and 9 inches. Some will have stained glass, some will have broken china.

Just when I think I don't have what I need to continue with my creativity, I find it within mere inches of where I'm sitting imagining designs and color patterns. Cool!

Support Independent Artisans, Designers and Crafters for your gift-giving needs all throughout the year. Thank you!~Cindy, EarthMotherMosaics