Friday, November 13, 2015

In The Studio - Part Two

I finished up "Phases" the vase I was working on a few days ago and started on a new vase!

"Phases" waiting for glue to dry so it can be grouted.

Fun kitty-inspired vase

I mentioned last month that I was going to work on making a mosaic bra. I've put that aside for now, because I have a few supplies to purchase before I can make it the way I know it needs to be made.

Meanwhile, I was thinking about all the doodle art I have laying around here and how much I'd like to make some frames for them and get them listed for sale. Putting on the thinking cap and using only what I have available to me, without spending any additional money, can be a challenge. However, it's never stopped me from thinking about what I can do and how I can do it.

I have a LOT of cardboard boxes and pieces here in my small space. I know if I cover cardboard with plaster cast strips I can mosaic it. I've done it. BTW, I now have grout I can use to finish that little cardboard box house off with! I have a nice pile of things to grout this weekend. I think I'll add it to the pile.

Soooooo ... making frames using cardboard and plaster strips is the new project currently in the research & development phase.


I'm expecting a lot of trial and error and anticipate the first few will be "just okay". But meanwhile, trying to figure out exactly what to do and how to do it, is so much fun!


Top layer is cut out, middle layer has the doodle and glass and another layer under that will hold a hanger of some sort (still working on it but I do have an awesome idea, so fingers crossed it works!). My goal is to have all 3 layers become one piece, which means the doodle cannot be removed. The top layer will get a mosaic, the back will be finished in some way not yet sure what but it will have plaster strips on it too, so it'll have to be covered with material if not glass.

The holidays are creeping up on us fast! I have no idea yet what I'm making for the g-kids and extended family's children this year. I'd better think of something soon! Over the past few years I've had my grandson make gifts for everyone he knows (adults mostly) but this year I have an idea of my own to give my Dad and Step-Mother. In addition to something he may make them, I'm going to make something too. As soon as the vase is finished up, I'll start working on that.

I am still waiting on the customer to let me know how many switch plate covers they need so I can complete that order, but in the meantime, I have a lot to keep me busy! I just got a nice amount of 4 inch square coasters in MDF to play with. Yay!! New mosaic coasters will be created very soon!! Woohoo!!

REMINDER: If you are interested in ordering something custom made specifically for the holidays from my shop, do it now! There are only 2 more weeks to order something. I won't be accepting any orders for the holidays after November 25th.

Support Independent Artisans, Designers and Crafters for your gift-giving needs all throughout the year. Thank you!

Cindy