Friday, March 11, 2016

In The Studio - Friday

It's the end of the week and I've been sick through most of it. This is the time of year where I am prone to get strep throat, sinus infections and ear infections due to allergies. This year is no different. I've got a doozy of a sinus infection and allergies have played havoc with my eyes this time. That slowed me down with all I had planned for this week and has been added to the list for next week.

I did move some things around midweek and noticed a pair of masks I made in 2010 all wrapped up and protected in a box. I made both masks to be venetian/carnival/mardi gras inspired. These masks were for a gallery in Muncie, IN which is no longer open called Art & Soul at Phoebe's Gallery. The display was all masks.

I thought it would be kind of cool to show how I made them because I used recycled plastic containers! The black mask was cut from a plastic iced tea jug. The white mask was cut from a green 2-liter bottle. Both were covered generously with plaster cast strips.




measures 9 x 6 inches

measures 8 x 5 inches


I let them sit overnight to make sure the plaster was completely dry. Next step was to paint each mask and add some glitter. Fun!!





Now onto the mosaic magic.





And lastly, grout to finish them off nicely.





Each were embellished with tempered glass, iridescent stained glass and mirror. Green Van Gogh stained glass was added to the white mask. Adornments like broken jewelry, plastic beads, and ribbon were added.





I painted the backs of each and signed them.





Here they all displayed in the gallery (I know they are hard to spot, but they are there!). They are placed in the front. White one on the left, black on the right.





Support Independent Artisans, Designers and Crafters for your gift-giving needs all throughout the year. Thank you!~Cindy, EarthMotherMosaics