Friday, October 3, 2014

In The Studio - Part 2

I'm really excited today! My Dad stopped by this week and brought me some of the cutting boards he made around the time I was born to mosaic on.


The leather bands need a little TLC (slightly moldy from being in a damp basement for close to 50 years) but these boards are in great shape and absolutely beautiful otherwise and I am already coming up with mosaic color combos for them.

I used one of these cutting boards for quite a while for it's purpose but when it started to show obvious wear and tear, knowing that my Dad made it, I put it in a box after carefully wrapping it up to keep it safe. There it sat for 10+ years. When I moved here with my daughter and her family, I had to purge many of my possessions, but that stayed with me because I loved it.

In February of this year I decided to put my own touches to the one I had, adding stained glass and a few "atomic" designed dish shards on it.


This is a special mosaic with family history. My Dad cut the board when I was a little girl. When I moved here with my little girls, he gave me one because I really needed a cutting board, starting out on my own. Through the years I used it, knowing who made it and loving it even more because of that. And now, it hangs on my wall, with my magic touches added to it, reminding me that each generation has their own style.

I'm really looking forward to working on these boards!

Support Independent Artisans, Designers and Crafters for your gift-giving needs all throughout the year. Thank you!

Stay peaceful,
Cindy