Friday, August 8, 2014

In The Studio

There's lots to share today, so let's get to it!

The custom order is coming to an end and I've experienced a few mixed emotions along the way. I love being productive and if you've followed this blog for a while you usually see a lot of different things I do to stay happy and creative. When work comes to an end, I often get a bit depressed or sad that it's over. But I'm also ready to take a break and begin on something new!

The last 3 pieces in the custom order are now in the "to be grouted" pile waiting for glue to dry. This might take a while. I used Weldbond, a white glue that dries clear, on my glass-on-glass pieces and the milky white glue stays milky for a while. It can also look clear but go back to milky white when grouted. It often takes a very long time (months) for the glue to completely turn back to clear. I know it will change eventually, luckily it always has, but I want to wait another week before grouting the 2 vases that show obvious signs of wet glue. Each day a little more on each of the white spots becomes clear. Another week will do it!

When it came time to work on the last 2 vases, I was a little unclear as to what I wanted to do with them. Sometimes grabbing a lot of glass scraps and letting it sit in front of me for a while, allows my muse to figure out a specific design to use.


Blue-green and frosted iridescent glass were the muse's choices.

Confetti glass, a favorite of mine, was placed on this vase in large nipped chunks. If you look closely, you can see the milky white of the glue in this photo which was taken a few days ago. There is less of this visible this morning but it's not completely dry yet.

Next came the peace sign. The last item in the custom order.


The only request the customer made was to use blue mirror glass in some way on it.

Many of the items still in need of grouting are sitting all together here along with a grouted vase.
The swirls around the peace sign were done in the blue mirror. I've filled in around that with complimentary blues in a few various shades.

While waiting for glue to dry, I can seal the light switch plate covers and grout the yellow vase this weekend.

I took some new photos of a group of bottles I've decided to sell as a set of 3. My daughter recently surprised me with "just because" flowers (the upside to her job in the floral department) in pinks, white and blue using food coloring to get the bold colors she wanted. The flowers (seen in the above photo with the peace sign) made a great back drop for my new photos.

Coming Soon! Set of 3 mosaic bottles - all in blue.
I've got some new items to share from the 2nd Etsy shop. My favorite for this week: "Groovy Pear". I really love this print. I hope you all do too!


Support Independent Artisans, Designers and Crafters for your gift-giving needs all throughout the year. Thank you!

Stay peaceful,
Cindy